Carter W. Hick
Carter focuses his practice on Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation law. He is licensed to practice in the Washington state courts, in the federal courts of the Western District of Washington, and before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Carter has tried numerous jury trials to verdict and has successfully argued before the Washington State Court of Appeals, Division II, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Through his law practice Carter helps victims of sexual abuse obtain justice in the civil courts. In addition, Carter handles all aspects of other personal injury claims including motor vehicle claims (third party, PIP, UIM), bicycle claims, premises liability claims, and product liability claims. In short, Carter represents victims of negligence at the insurance level and, if necessary, in the federal courts, the state courts, and the courts of appeal for both the state of Washington and the 9th Circuit.
Carter also practices in the area of workers' compensation. Before joining our firm, Carter gained valuable experience in Washington state workers' compensation law while working as an Assistant Attorney General representing the Department of Labor & Industries. Carter uses his experience to help injured workers at the Department level, at the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals and in Superior Court.
Although past results do not guarantee future results, the following represents a snapshot of the work Carter performs for his clients:
- $2,850,000 Judgment against DSHS for negligent investigation (Sex Abuse)
- $650,000 Public Records Act judgment
- $550,000 Settlement in claim against school district (Sex Abuse)
- $220,000 Rear-end motor vehicle collision
- $188,000 Workers' compensation settlement (self-insured employer)
- $180,000 "Slip and fall" in parking lot
- $160,000 "Head on" motor vehicle collision
- $150,000 "Trip and fall" in parking lot
- $135,000 Pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle in a marked crosswalk
- $125,000 Rear-end motor vehicle collision
- $110,000 Pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle in a marked crosswalk
- $70,000 Bicyclist struck by a motor vehicle
- $60,000 Premises liability
- $55,000 Bicyclist struck by a motor vehicle
- $45,000 "Trip and fall" in parking lot
Education:Willamette University, College of Law, J.D.
The Evergreen State College, B.A.
Carter is a member of the Thurston County Bar Association and is an EAGLE member of the Washington State Association for Justice (formerly the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association). Carter is recognized as a Rising Star by Washington Law and Politics Magazine and was selected as one of the Top 40 Under 40 for Washington state by the National Trial Lawyers.
In his spare time, Carter enjoys hiking, biking, surfing, snowboarding, and working on his home. Carter is an athlete and competes regionally with the local bicycle racing team.