Carter focuses his practice on Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation law. He is licensed to practice in the Washington state courts, in the federal courts of the Western District of Washington, and before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Carter has tried numerous jury trials to verdict and has successfully argued before the Washington State Court of Appeals, Division II, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Through his law practice Carter helps victims of sexual abuse obtain justice in the civil courts. In addition, he handles all aspects of other personal injury claims including motor vehicle claims (third party, PIP, UIM), bicycle claims, premises liability claims, and product liability claims. In short, he represents victims of negligence at the insurance level and, if necessary, in the federal courts, the state courts, and the courts of appeal for both the state of Washington and the 9th Circuit.
Carter also practices in the area of workers' compensation. Before joining our firm, he gained valuable experience in Washington state workers' compensation law while working as an Assistant Attorney General representing the Department of Labor & Industries. Carter uses his experience to help injured workers at the Department level, at the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals and in Superior Court.
Although past results do not guarantee future results, the following represents a snapshot of the work Carter performs for his clients:
- $2,850,000 Negligent investigation by DSHS (Sex Abuse/Civil Rights)
- $550,000 Negligent supervision by School District (Sex Abuse/Civil Rights)
- $410,000 "T-bone" motor vehicle collision
- $300,000 Cruel and unusual punishment by County (Civil Rights)
- $220,000 Rear-end motor vehicle collision
- $188,000 Workers' compensation settlement (self-insured employer)
- $180,000 "Slip and fall" in parking lot
- $175,000 Products liability
- $160,000 "Head on" motor vehicle collision
- $150,000 "Trip and fall" in parking lot
- $135,000 Pedestrian struck by motor vehicle while in crosswalk
- $125,000 Rear-end motor vehicle collision
- $110,000 Pedestrian struck by motor vehicle while in crosswalk
- $75,000 Bicyclist cut off by motor vehicle
- $70,000 Bicyclist struck by motor vehicle
- $60,000 Premises liability
- $55,000 Bicyclist struck by motor vehicle
- $45,000 "Trip and fall" in parking lot
The Evergreen State College, B.A.
Willamette University, College of Law, J.D.
Carter is a member of the Thurston County Bar Association and is an EAGLE member of the Washington State Association for Justice (formerly the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association). He is recognized as a Rising Star by Washington Law and Politics Magazine and was selected as one of the Top 40 Under 40 for Washington state by the National Trial Lawyers.
In his spare time, Carter enjoys hiking, biking, surfing, snowboarding, and working on his home. He is an athlete and competes regionally with the local bicycle racing team.